Market Activator, Regional Advancement
The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU’s remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of collaborative, curious, results-oriented, and mission-driven advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
In order for the University of Denver to achieve an ambitious DU IMPACT 2025 vision, it is imperative that we strategically engage and involve the global Pioneer family in the effort of supporting and advancing the University. With over sixty percent of the alumni base living outside of Colorado and thousands of parents and friends across the country, success will partially be dependent upon our ability to build and sustain a cultivation strategy outside of Colorado. The University of Denver seeks to strengthen its global network of Pioneer supporters and ambassadors by establishing a sustainable advancement presence in five key markets across the United States. These regional teams will be based in the geographic areas they serve and will include a director of development, a market activator, and a part-time market fellow. The regional team will collaborate closely and frequently with the Denver-based DU Advancement team as well as other colleagues across campus. Regional offices will be anchored in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City and Washington, DC. Regular travel within the region is expected, along with quarterly travel to Denver.
With a primary focus in their region, the Market Activator will engage alumni, parents, and donors in the region as well as develop a programmatic portfolio for the region in collaboration with the Denver-based advancement team. Additionally, the incumbent will develop formal and informal networks of alumni leaders within different industries, neighborhoods, and affinity communities. This position will manage one part-time market fellow and will work alongside a Regional Director of Development. The team’s goal is to create a culture of lifelong engagement and philanthropy among constituents in the region.
The University of Denver is also unique in its academic portfolio, which boasts both a strong undergraduate experience as well as highly respected graduate and professional schools. Alumni identify with both the institution as well as their specific academic units within it, and the Market Activator must be creative in their approach toward crafting engagement strategies that emphasize the intersection of those identities. The Market Activator will partner closely with colleagues working within the specific schools, colleges, and units to align alumni engagement strategies for the region.
The regional advancement team will achieve its goals by working in a highly collaborative fashion with their colleagues in academic units and with the entire DU Advancement team.
- Meet regularly with constituents in the region to understand the needs and desires of local alumni, parents, and friends.
- Communicate with unit-based engagement team members and log details of alumni interactions in contact reports to build a shared awareness of local alumni across all advancement functions.
- Using information they have collected and stewarded, supports the University of Denver to make data-driven decisions for targeted outreach to local alumni.
- Identify, cultivate and sustain networks of alumni, parents, and friends within local markets to increase engagement through in-person interactions and philanthropic commitments.
- Meet one-on-one and in small groups with local members of the Pioneer family to learn more about their unique needs, desires, and sentiments toward the University.
- Leverage existing programs and create new opportunities to engage the local community.
- During key moments in the life of the university (such as signature events, campus leadership interactions within the region, and campaign-related activities), convert and activate networks into audiences to deepen the commitment of individuals to DU.
- Engage local alumni, parents, and friends as volunteers and deepen their commitment and sense of ownership toward specific goals, programs, and activities.
- Effectively manage the regional engagement operating budget, including monitoring transactions, promoting policy compliance, and assisting in budget modeling and forecasting processes.
University & DU Advancement Citizenship
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all central and unit-based advancement functions and campus colleagues to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative advancement practices.
- Collaborate closely with campus-based advancement colleagues and operate within the established framework of DU Advancement goals and priorities.
- Contribute to team success and model “One DU” leadership.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, including the ability to work collaboratively with remote colleagues.
- Exceptionally high level of customer service skills.
- Adept at using judgment and discretion in situations that require sensitivity and tact.
- Ability to develop and hone a deep understanding of the University of Denver, and to foster that understanding in a remote capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5 years of community engagement, membership management or other comparable experience.
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally with colleagues in other departments/teams to produce events, marketing materials, and other key deliverables.
- Ability to travel regularly within the region and quarterly to Denver.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working in a University or similar non-profit environment.
- Prior experience working in a regional model.
- Established knowledge of the University of Denver (preference for DU Alumni and/or current or former employees in good standing).
As we begin to form a sustainable regional presence for the University of Denver, we invite professionals in the greater San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City and Washington, DC metropolitan areas to express interest or nominate their colleagues by submitting this brief form.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- Learn more about the University of Denver and meet the DU Advancement team.
- Browse the most recent University of Denver Magazine.
- View a short welcome video and learn more about the wide range of benefit choices available to University of Denver professionals.
- Discover our strategic planning process, Imagine DU, and review our strategic plan, DU IMPACT 2025.
- The University of Denver recognizes that our success is dependent on how well we value, engage, and include the rich diversity of constituents in all we do. Discover our vision and learn about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence.